Curation of EDCI content by Max Savellano

Blog #1: Learning, Motivation, and Theory

Learning Theories and Utilization

Learning theories are effective strategies that can be utilized in different contexts and environments. As someone who constantly seeks new strategies to learn, I have utilized specific learning theories and applied each method to its respective approach.

Finding a good study habit was one of my most difficult challenges when learning. As someone who was easily distracted, I needed to create effective habits that required positive reinforcement so that I could be motivated to study. To overcome this challenge, I developed a behavioural learning strategy with a reward system for every positive outcome during my study sessions. I started by narrowing down the different rewards I could give myself for each positive outcome. As a student who spent a lot of time in front of a screen, I decided that my reward would be a certain value of screen time (TV episode, YouTube video, etc…). To effectively initiate this behavioural strategy, I asked my parents to be involved in observing my study habits and make sure that I am free from any distractions. My final behavioural strategy was that I would reward myself with screentime currency for every good studying outcome. Once the screentime currency was used up, I would have to earn it all back by studying again. This strategy is still effective to this day due to its behavioural approach.

Learning Experiences

My learning experiences in high school and university have been a mix of both great and not-so-great. There were classes that I enjoyed but were ruined by teaching approaches, but there were also classes that I despised and ended up enjoying. My most positive learning experience would have to be when I was taught Calculus I in my first year of university. I was not too fond of Calculus or math in general, but my professor made the course engaging by constantly reassuring me that students can succeed. This positive outlook throughout the course made Calculus enjoyable and motivated me to learn. My professor also utilized a constructivist approach and encouraged group learning during class, leading to a more concise understanding of information learned and increased retention of learned knowledge. Ultimately the positive reassurance led to an increase in self-confidence which was a major factor for success in the course.

1. abashir

Hi Max,
    I definitely agree with you. At the age of technology, we can be distracted easily by just hearing notifications on the phone or watching stuff on the screen long time. I think it is very necessary to have good study habit and use reward system to motivate ourselves.

2. rikitiki

Hi Max,

The hardest part of learning for me too was finding good study habits. Therefore, I also believe that the most effective approach is to reward yourself every time you make a good progress in your studies.

Rikuto